Seven-Year-Old Killed In Explosion Caused By Drug Dealer Making Sweets At Home

Tragic Blast Linked to Illegal Cannabis Production

A seven-year-old boy was killed in a devastating house explosion after two drug dealers used the flat below to manufacture dangerous cannabis edibles with over 100 canisters of butane gas.

Archie York was asleep with his parents and baby brother when a massive blast ripped through their home on Violet Close, Benwell, in the early hours of October 16, 2024. The explosion flattened parts of the street, rendered families homeless, and sparked a huge emergency response.

Dealer Admits Manslaughter

Reece Galbraith, 33, from Gateshead, admitted the manslaughter of young Archie and his accomplice Jason ‘Jay’ Laws, 35, who also died in the blast. Galbraith had initially denied the charges but changed his plea during a video appearance at Newcastle Crown Court. He also admitted to possessing and supplying cannabis over an 11-month period.

He will be sentenced on May 14.

Judge Paul Sloan KC warned Galbraith that he faced a “significant, immediate custodial sentence”.

Deadly Drug Operation

Detectives revealed that Galbraith and Laws were using the flat directly beneath Archie’s home as a drug lab to produce a concentrated cannabis extract known as “shatter” or “butane honey oil”. The extract was then used to make cannabis sweets, referred to as “gummies”.

The production process involved storing large volumes of flammable butane gas in the property. Police later recovered 100 canisters from the scene.

Archie’s Family Devastated

Archie’s mother, Katherine, said: “As a parent and as a mother, you try your best to keep your children safe, and that was took out of my hands. When they are in the house, that’s supposed to be the safest place.”

Archie’s baby brother Finley and both parents survived the blast, though the explosion left their home destroyed.

Dealer Seriously Injured in Blast

Galbraith was himself severely injured in the explosion and spent a week in an induced coma. His solicitor told the court he still suffers from major burns and limited mobility in his arms.

Mobile Evidence and Drug Gear Found

Before the explosion, police had already stopped Galbraith’s car in April 2024 and found drugs inside. His home was searched, uncovering moulds used to make cannabis sweets. Analysis of his mobile phone revealed 80 texts related to the sale of edibles.

Following the explosion, forensic teams found Galbraith’s fingerprints on several items in the flat, which prosecutors described as a drug lab.

CPS: Explosion Caused by Reckless Drug Operation

Christopher Atkinson of CPS North East said: “It is clear from the evidence in this case that the explosion which took Archie’s life was caused by a build-up of butane in the address used by Jason Laws, who also died in the blast.”

Detective Chief Inspector Katie Smith added: “The process of creating cannabis shatter and other drugs in this way is exceptionally dangerous. The truly devastating impact of this case should be enough to make anyone doing this to think again.”

Police continue to urge the public to report any information about drug production.

Total
0
Shares
Previous Article

Huge Wildfire Breaks Out With Warning Issued Across the UK

Next Article

Man with knife who 'moved at speed' towards police officers before being shot dead named

Related Posts
Total
0
Share