A man fatally shot by armed police outside Milton Keynes railway station was carrying a knife, not a gun, police have confirmed. The incident, which unfolded just before 1pm on Tuesday 1 April 2025, prompted a major emergency response and an ongoing investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).
Officers from Thames Valley Police and British Transport Police were called to the station on Elder Gate following reports of a man seen with a firearm. Armed units confronted the individual, described as a white man, who reportedly moved “at speed” towards officers while holding a knife. A single shot was fired, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene at 1.44pm.
Photos taken from the scene show a large cordon in place, with forensic teams working outside the station’s Pret A Manger café where a blue tent had been erected. A significant police presence remained well into the evening.
In a statement issued last night, Thames Valley Police confirmed:
“TVP armed officers challenged a white man carrying a knife outside the station. He moved at speed towards officers with the knife before a shot was fired. Life-saving actions were immediately taken, but the man was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.”
The man has yet to be formally identified, and efforts to contact his next of kin are ongoing.
Milton Keynes local commander Chief Superintendent Emma Baillie said:
“We understand that this incident may cause concern locally, but we would like to reassure the community that there is no wider threat to the public.”
The IOPC has confirmed it began an investigation at 2.26pm on Tuesday after being contacted by TVP. An IOPC spokesperson said:
“Our role in these circumstances is to independently investigate all of the circumstances surrounding this incident, including the actions and decisions taken by the police. Our thoughts are with the family of the man who died and those affected.”
Matthew Barber, Police and Crime Commissioner for Thames Valley, defended the officers involved, stating:
“From what I understand at this early stage, I am confident the officers should be praised for their actions. They responded bravely and decisively to protect the public.”
Eyewitnesses described hearing a loud bang followed by a heavy emergency response. One resident, Alan Brockbank, said:
“We saw the man on the ground receiving CPR, and later saw two armed officers with automatic weapons. At first, we didn’t even realise it was a shooting.”
Others nearby reported police trying to keep crowds back as paramedics and officers performed life-saving efforts.
Councillor Shazna Muzammil, Conservative group leader at Milton Keynes City Council, wrote on X (formerly Twitter):
“I’m deeply shocked by what’s happened. Our thoughts are with all those affected – it must have been incredibly distressing.”
The station was temporarily closed following the incident but has since reopened. The investigation remains ongoing, and authorities are urging any witnesses to come forward.
For the latest updates on this developing story, follow our live coverage and sign up for breaking news alerts.